Monday, June 8, 2009

ikea: like disney world, only better


Sunday, I forced my parents (I needed my dad's truck for all the grand plans I had) to drive me an hour north to this place of wonders.

I'd seen pictures on the news - crowds lined up waiting for the doors to open each and every morning. Of people camping outside, days before the grand opening, only a month earlier. It was like no one had ever seen a discount furniture store.

Or maybe no one had ever seen a Swedish discount furniture store before.

I wanted to see what all of the hype was about. I also wanted to get me some discount furniture - and yes, Swedish discount furniture at that. Especially since I'll be moving in a few short weeks and the only furniture I have to my name is my bed and a bookshelf I picked up at Target.

And so, I had lofty expectations for this Swedish discount furniture store.

We arrived to an empty parking lot Sunday morning. I considered that all of the hype had been exaggerated, no one really wanted discount Swedish furniture. But then, I considered that we were two hours early and the store didn't open until 12 on Sundays.

After driving aimlessly around town for awhile, we ventured back to the promised land and found, much to our amazement, the parking lot begin to fill. Even with an hour left to open.

Then, the line began to form.

Then, the rain started to pour. With the rain pouring in, the crowds began doing the same.

Finally, at 11:30, the doors were opening and we trickled inside with the rest of them. We were given a map (shown above) of the maze that is IKEA and tiny pencils in which to mark our findings.

My mom and I executed a game plan. My step-dad commented on the losers surrounding him. We reminded him he was one of them.

With hundreds of other thrifty shoppers, we began our way through the maze that is IKEA. Ushered from one room to next without even realizing it. Gazing at everything from couches to throw pillows to kitchen cabinets to vases.

It was crowded. It was overwhelming - with everything there was to see and experience and to browse. It was just like Disney World.

Only better.

Especially for a frugal soul like myself, looking to furnish her first apartment as inexpensively as possible. IKEA, the Swedish discount furniture store, was just the place for me.

It was like finding my mother ship.

In only two hours (it could have been much, much, much longer, but we were ushered quickly through by the man we had brought with us) we'd made it through IKEA.

And for only $300, I walked away with 2 end tables, a coffee table, an entire bed, a pillow that had the map of the world on it, 2 lamps, a rug, and 3 tiny stuffed animals and burp clothes for a certain someone I learned was expecting that very morning.

Not too shabby.

So, for that, IKEA became my version of the happiest place on earth.

After all, discount Swedish furniture is bound to make anyone happy.

1 comment:

  1. Can you believe that there is at least 2 Ikeas in Texas? One in Houston and one in Austin? Disney World TWICE. Hee.

    Please tell me the one you went two was equipped with a cafeteria? You have to have their Swedish meetballs with that jelly that I forget the name too. DELISH and CHEAP!

    Now, while being in Ikea is super awesome, putting together the furniture? An exercise in frustration and elbow grease. Enjoy!

    =D

    ReplyDelete