Wednesday, July 8, 2009

it's in the little things

Beach

It goes without saying that when I move in less than 6 weeks I will miss my friends, my family, my work, my town. But as time ticks closer to moving day, I'm beginning to realize all of the small things that make up the life that I love here and just how hard it is going to be to say goodbye to all of those simple, small, mundane things. While seemingly insignificant those are the things that carve out my life here.

The things I will miss more than words can say.

It's easy to focus on the fact that I will miss being 15 minutes away from my best friend who, at the drop of a hat, will bring me medicine for my killer migraine. That's a given.

But, I will also miss going into my local Subway and knowing that I don't have to say a word, they already know my order. It'll be a hardship not to know the people behind the counter, who poke fun of me for said order and always chat business with me.

I'm moving to a town where I've only been twice, probably for a collective 3 hours spread over those two visits. Where everything is (oddly) painted the same color and I don't know where a dang thing is. I'll have to learn my surroundings. Find a local Target, grocery store, everything. And while all of that is obviously to be expected when you move to a new town, it's going to be hard not to see the same people. It's going to be hard not to go to Publix for my donut fix and hope that the girl at the bakery doesn't recognize me. Even though she does every single time but pretends not to notice my addiction.

In 6 weeks, I will be unemployed and despite how much I complain about my job and am so ridiculously tired of working 6-day weeks, I am going to miss my work. My coworkers and my bosses. I've spent the past 3.5 years there. 4 birthdays and 3 years of college.

Obviously, after you've spent 3.5 years some place, it's going to be hard to leave it all behind. I know that. It's just that I've come to realize how hard it'll be to do without the little things at work: the familiar handwriting of my coworkers; Honeynut Cheerios every morning; hotel pens with caps on them; impromptu chats (sometimes political debates) with my boss; the click of my name tag; the swivel of my chair; the faceless voices of all of the other front desk clerks I talk to on a daily basis.

And there's so much more. There are bigger things, of course, and much smaller, so that's only a sampling of all those little things that have been weighing on my mind recently about what, exactly, I'm leaving behind in 6 weeks.

I feel as though it's taken me 10 years to create this life. In a city I love, surrounded by people and places I adore. While the people will stick with me, those sweet, small things will slowly fade away into the noise of my history and wont carry me through. But they have, in their own simple and unique ways, created the life I have led here and though I know I'll probably forget the girl from the bakery at Publix or the scrawl of a coworker, I will not forgot the feeling of how all of these things have created a life for me.

They have created a home.

2 comments:

  1. I'm just wondering where you are moving from and where you are moving to. Moving is hard. I just moved to Atlanta from Boston for my husband's job. We may move again in another year. I've met some great people though each time I've moved. But it's always sad to say goodbye.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kathianne - I currently live on the west coast of Florida and am moving to the east coast.

    Moving is hard, you've got that right! And I haven't even done the actual move part yet.

    ReplyDelete