Wednesday, July 22, 2009

the story of sniglet

23

Sunday morning, at approximately the crack of dawn (which, I personally consider any time before 10:30 AM) I was awoken by a loud, strange meowing sound coming from the living room. The sound my lovely little cat usually makes when she's caught a lizard or some other slithering creature of the sort.

So, I stumbled out into the living room, trying to prepare myself for what exactly I would find. I found her in the middle of the living room, her paws locked around something I couldn't quite see. Whatever it was, she was trying to gnaw on it. Though fearing what I might find - blood and guts of some poor creature for one - I crept closer and closer to her.

And there, in the middle of the living room, in her ferocious grips was a piece of a chocolate chip cookie.

A chocolate chip cookie that she most definitely did not want to give up.

And that is just a glimpse into every day life with my absolutely crazy, 3 pound tabby cat named Sniglet.

When I was about 7/8 (? dates are not my strong suit) my mom wanted a new cat. So, off to the farm my dad and I went to pick her out a new kitten.

At first sight of this cute little tabby cat, with white feet and a perfect white tip on her tail, I knew that she was the one I wanted and no other kitten would do. Of course, she was the one who didn't want to come home with us. My dad chased her throughout the entire farm - through the milk barn and through the barn filled with calves. She did not want to leave.

Eventually, she surrendered and we brought her home with us, as a new cat for my mother. Who named her Maxwell.

Maxwell just didn't seem to fit this wild kitten, though. She went through many nicknames, but it was my little brother who finally dubbed her name. Piglet was transformed into Sniglet and voila! Sniglet stuck and she's been that ever since.

Well, along with Snigs, Baby, Baby Cat, Missy Moo, Bubba, Sniggles, etc.

As it happens with most cats, Sniglet chose her own person to belong to. And she just so happened to pick me.

This cat is constantly by my side. She greets me at the door when I come home from work. She falls asleep at my side and it's always to her I wake up to in the morning. Normally, it's her annoying the hell out of me so I get up to give her morning milk.

27/365

She's ever faithful. Quick to forgive and forget. And is addicted to milk. And catnip.

It is this little cat - all 3 pounds of her - that makes my life happier and brighter. I know that's a big responsibility for a little cat, but I think she's up to the challenge. She's pretty tough.

I am certainly glad that is her that will be making the move with me. It'll be nice to have someone greet me at the door when I come home.

It might actually make it feel more like a home with her there.

Besides, who wouldn't want to come home to this cute little face?

16/365

No comments:

Post a Comment