Saturday, July 18, 2009

sinking

dancing queen


As I stood in my boss' office one evening last week it began to sink in that I really am moving away in four-ish weeks.

He sat at his desk, going over my paycheck trying to figure out just what kind of 401K I have so that I would know what kind of IRA I needed to roll it over into and I stood behind him, silently freaking out that moments such as these were quickly coming to an end.

And I was thinking just how damn much I would miss the man in front of me when I move.

I realize that to most it's an odd thing for me to say that I will miss my boss. But, for me, he will be one of the people I miss the most when I move. He's been a permanent, present fixture in my life for the past 3.5 years and it's going to be hard to give that up.

Honestly, we clash on most things. He's a conservative, I'm a liberal (a wacko liberal as he so lovingly calls). He likes plaid, I like polka dots. He prefers decaf, I prefer regular.

Even in our similarities we often butt heads. He's ridiculously stubborn, as am I. He's overly sarcastic and I am as well.

And yet, somehow, through all of those things that should potentially keep us from getting along, I have found in him a good friend and a mentor. It is his advice I value most (except on politics, of course). I go to him when I'm in crisis. I go to him when I'm in need of a financial advisor. I go to him just when I need to chat or need someone to relay my latest crazy dream or encounter to.

I know I drive him endlessly crazy. He does the same to me in return. But I honestly cannot imagine these past 3.5 years of my life without him. Or where, exactly, I would be if I hadn't waltzed right into his life.

It is in large part thanks to him that I have a relationship with my father. I have him to credit for my confidence to pursue a maters in nonprofit management. He also gives me the best financial advice and spurs on my love of travel with his own passion.

He makes me more confident, more adventurous, smarter, more courageous, less apt to be so extreme. In short, he makes me better.

So, yes, I will miss my boss. I will miss him thinking I am a crazy, left-winged liberal and telling me how horrible Obama is. I will miss his sarcastic remarks. I will miss the way he laughs at practically everything I say and holds me to a higher standard.

But most of all, I will just miss him.

*above photo was taken in 2006.
during cocktails on the veranda.
where i was forced to dance.
to 'at last' by etta james.
'twas a wonderful night.

No comments:

Post a Comment