Tuesday, September 1, 2009

home sweet sweet home

With the sun rising behind me, I had made the three hour drive home. It's only been two weeks, but the pull was just too strong not to return after a hellish week.

As I crossed the county line, I nearly cried with joy and relief at being almost home.

As I walked into my [old] place of employment and saw my best friend, quickly embracing her, I did cry with joy and relief.

I was home.

And as I sat in my [old] boss' office, pouring my heart out about how horrible everything was - work and school and the big city - I cried with heartache and sadness and anger.

After an hour of advice, encouragement, brainstorming, gossip, laughter, and some more tears, I emerged from his office refreshed and inspired. He was exactly what I needed for my weary soul.

My best friend was exactly what I needed for my tattered heart. Two weeks without seeing a friend had worn me down and has probably been one of the worst parts of living where I know virtually no one. It was pure happiness just talking and laughing with her.

My next stop was my parents. I hadn't told a soul I was coming, so I was a giant, life-size surprise who showed up at their front door. Though, when I had called, a block away, and asked my mother if she wanted to hang out with me and was told no and was then met with nervous laughter when I told her, no, really, I was right outside, I'm not sure that was the best sign.

Apparently their empty nest isn't so empty after all.

I raided their fridge. Spoke of all my misadventures and promised I'd tell them when I was coming next.

The rest of the afternoon, I spent with my friend Lindsey, waiting for her baby to kick. Sadly, the baby takes after it's mother and refused to kick for it's auntie.

And then, it was time to go back. I dragged my feet all afternoon because I not only dreaded the long drive ahead of me, but because I didn't want to go back at all.

My city makes me feel peaceful and happy. It just feels right being there.

If I hadn't left my cat behind, I might not have gone back.

But I did. I came back. It was by far harder to leave the second time around then it was the first.

However, I came back refreshed and rejuvenated by my friends and family and home, ready to face with coming week supported and inspired.

The short jaunt still didn't deter my homesickness. I'm not sure anything will until I really am back home where I belong.

No comments:

Post a Comment