Saturday, September 12, 2009

thoughts on big city living

The first time I saw the skyline of the city I would be working in and going to school in, my heart sank.

Hello big city.

I am, admittedly, from a small midwestern town (hello sterotype!). My hometown boasts 2000 residents, where everyone knows everyone, and all roads lead home. The epitome of a small town.

When I moved to the town I now call home, where there were 48,000 more people with interstates, roads with a speed limit over 25 miles per hour, a true downtown filled with bars and retuarants, it was what I believed a big (ish) town to be like. It was, of course, much, much larger than any town I'd ever lived in.

My sophomore year of highschool, I boldly proclaimed that I was going to be a journalist. In New York City. I'd write for the Times and live in a cute little loft, walking everywhere in the city in my 3 inch Jimmy Choo's. That was the life. That was my dream.

I was a city girl. No big, open county for me, no small town living. Not for this girl. It was the city life for me.

And then I took journalism and that idea went rapidly out the window.

But I still clung to that long-held idea that I was destined for a big city. Full of life and lights. Not that I'd ever lived in a big city before, but the image was so dramatized and brilliant in my head that I couldn't think of myself anywhere else.

Then, the roots began to grow into the town I now call home and my wings were clipped. There was no need for the hustle and bustle of a big city. I had a home. As big as I believed it to be filled with familiarities and loved ones.

The dream was changed - I dreamt of cultivating the roots I had put down in my beautiful city.

In an attempt to better myself, I uprooted myself and moved.


The town I currently live in is nothing to write home about. The city I work and go to school in, however, is a true big city, on the outskirts of a major US city. Compared to places like NYC, Chicago, and LA, the population is only a drop in the bucket. But to this smalltown girl, it's certainly big city living.

According to the census, there are 180,000 people.

I am quite certain that all 180,000 people are on the interstate when I want to go to work/school/Target.

Four weeks into big city living has me thinking I'll never be acclimated to living in a big city such as this. How anyone could get use to the traffic is beyond me.

The traffic! Oh, the traffic!

I once thought 20 minutes was a long time to get anywhere. My daily commute is double that. If traffic's good. My average speed on the interstate is probably 50 MPH simply because of the sheer volume of cars. I swear that I nearly get into an accident (or two) every day. It is sheer insanity.

The moral of the story? Big city life ain't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment