Thursday, August 20, 2009

berry berry busy


I had thought that my first week of living here would be basically spent in my new apartment. Unpacking, arranging, and organizing. I thought I'd only leave my apartment for a trip to the grocery store. It hasn't really gone that way, however. I've been forced to leave the confines of my apartment every single day since I've been here. Mostly for work-related stuff. It's just that each jaunt to my new place of employment requires a 35 minute drive both ways.

Come Saturday, things will only get busier and more hectic. Saturday marks my first day of graduate school (yes - Saturday). With only a couple days left until I start school, my nerves are starting to kick in. I haven't been to school in 9 months and I've rather enjoyed the break. So, it's going to be hard going back. Especially to a new campus, in a new town, with a graduate-level workload.

I've started being a slacker student already, so I'm not off to the greatest start. Tonight was new student orientation and in the midst of the move, I didn't RSVP in time, so... no orientation for me. But, I find that orientations are usually hours of my life I'll never get back and I usually leave more confused than when I came.

So, I'm just enjoying these last free days of mine (though, they haven't been completely free) until I start school on Saturday and my first day of work at my new job on Monday.

I will be a very, very busy bee, that is fact. So, in the spirit of my upcoming business, I decided I would need to have a very portable breakfast/snack for my long commutes to school and work. Hence, my berry berry smoothie. I whipped this up this morning so I'd have something to eat (drink) in the car on my way to the workplace to fill out paperwork. Be forewarned, I am not, by any means, a cook, so... just because this is edible to me, doesn't mean it will be to others.

Megan's Berry Berry Smoothie:

  • Handful of ice
  • 1 cup of frozen mixed berries (I used strawberries, blackberries, blueberries, and raspberries).
  • Two-ish pours of Stonyfield Plain Organic yogurt (I don't eat plain yogurt by itself, but it's great for smoothies. And organic is where it's at. I try my best to eat as organically as possible).
  • 3/4 of a banana
  • ... and because 'green' smoothies are all the rage on a lot of food blogs I frequent, I tried a big pinch of spinach.

Blend all ingredients (which are just approximates of what I put into my smoothie) until they're a smoothie-like consistency. And enjoy!

I think next time, I'd add the whole banana and some more yogurt, probably the entire serving size, which is 1 cup. And I could probably even do with more spinach, because, honestly, I wasn't able to taste it. A great way to hide the greens!

It really was a great, healthy antioxidant packed smoothie. Perfect for on-the-go busy bees.

No comments:

Post a Comment