Sunday, August 16, 2009

the one where my life turns into an episode of friends

Except not as funny.

One of my favorite episodes of Friends is the one where Ross buys a couch but it does not fit up the stairs of his apartment complex. Even over the weekend, when we started to load my belongings onto the truck, we would keep saying "pivot!" and laughing hysterically.

Saturday, when I arrived at my apartment complex, things started to go downhill. And the continued on that downhill slope for the rest of the day. No one ever said moving was suppose to be fun (or easy) and alas, it was not.

All day, we had waited on my couch to arrive so that we'd actually have something to sit on. Because aside from my bed, I did not have a stick of furniture to my name. We were using boxes as chairs by 6:30.

Finally, however, the delivery men arrived! We sang a chorus of hallelujah and welcomed them in. Only after building them a bridge to get to the stairs since it had been raining buckets all day and my apartment was suddenly lake front property.

With the rain still falling, they carried my couch up the stairs and (halfway) into the apartment. However, the angle of my entryway and hallway leading to the living room are a bit awkward. The ceilings are, of course, lower there than anywhere else in the apartment.

So with many attempts, many different angles, and one broken light fixture, they declared that it simply would not fit.

At this point, my step-dad and uncle stepped in, trying to help the two delivery men. They tried countless more angles to move the couch inside. To no avail, however.

My step-dad then decided that if they took the front door completely off (!!!) that it surely would fit. So, they took my front door off its hinges and tried again.

But alas, it still would not fit.

This is the point at which I broke down and cried. I got my couch for a killer deal and did not want to have to go pick out a new one and probably spend more money. Then have to go through this all over again.

The men had one more idea, though. They would simply bring the couch through the back balcony doors.

One problem: I live on the second floor.

The men took the couch around back (which had turned into a lake, too) and with two men at the bottom and two men on the balcony, they heaved the couch onto the balcony and through the balcony doors. And finally, safely into my living room.

I would have taken pictures of the ordeal if I had been present to watch it all unfold. I couldn't bring myself to watch, however, and instead stayed in my bedroom to cry.

Now, the apartment comes complete with a lovely sofa because it is never moving from this spot.

No comments:

Post a Comment