Saturday, August 22, 2009

the first day of school

I've always been one to consider the first day of school a big day. Whether it's the first day of high school, college, beauty school. I think it's a milestone in your life. The very first day. Time for a fresh start - a new year, new faces, new notebooks. Everything starts anew and the future lays before you a blank slate, ready for you to make your mark.

It's a day for endless possibilities.

In the spirit of those new possibilities before me, I woke up at the crack of dawn (6:30 am!) to get ready for the day before me. That mostly included throwing on some clothes and doing some last minute reading for the first day of class (why yes, I am a slacker already, before school even starts).

And because new beginnings always mean new wardrobes - at least they do for me - I had some new clothes to pick from for my first day of school outfit. Even though it's grad school I'm starting, I still think requires a back-to-school outfit for the first day. There's plenty of time in the semester to slink back to jeans and t-shirts, the first day requires something special.

With no audience (my mother) to model all my choices for, I debated with myself what I should wear. Professional? Casual? Business casual? I wasn't quite sure what grad school would call for or what the other students would be supporting, so I played it safe and went with this:

Dark wash trouser jeans and a deep red blouse. So, a business-casual-ish look. With cute brown Mary Janes ($15 at Target!).


I paired it all with the necklace above. This necklace is not only an accessory but a little boost of courage. Beneath the compass is a line from my favorite poem, Invictus by Henley which always reminds me that it is within me to succeed. That I am the one who has the power to break me or make me.

It's inspiring. Two simple little lines from a poem gives me all the courage I need to leap blindly into the future; into the endless possibilities awaiting me.

I am the master of my fate;

I am the captain of my soul.

William Ernest Henley, Invictus.

2 comments:

  1. Good luck on your first day! I'm wondering what you are studying.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm getting my master's in nonprofit management. I wrote about it here: http://fallenfromthenest.blogspot.com/2009/08/nonprofit-management.html

    ReplyDelete