Friday, August 14, 2009

the end

Beach

"Are you excited?"

I get this question every time I tell some goodbye or tell them I'm moving. The answer is always a resounding no.

Because, the thing is, I'm not excited. I don't want to move. I know it's in my best interest (eventually, at least) to move and go to graduate school. I need to strike out on my own once and for all. Even if it's only for a brief (17 months - who's counting, though?) period in time.

I can only hope this makes me better. Braver and more independent.

It just doesn't seem like a good thing when I'm forced to say goodbye to everyone I know and love. To say farewell to the town I've come to love and know; the town I've come to call home.

However, I'm often reminded that sometimes the hardest things are the best things. That if it wasn't hard, it wouldn't be worthwhile. I just hope that this is the case for me.

It also gives me some sort of comfort that I know that not all of these goodbyes are forever. Those I love the most will not just fade out of my life. The strongest will remain by my side (even if it takes them 3.5 hours to get there) and that gives me hope for the future. Faith in the future.

I haven't even shed a tear yet.

Promising, I think. Because, logically and realistically, I do know that I will come back. This will be my home again.

No comments:

Post a Comment